Transcript for Season 1 - Episode 1 - Always and Forever
Written by Cori11
Directed by Cori11
Elijah: (voiceover) Over the course of my long life, I have come to believe we are bound forever to those with whom we share blood. And while we may not choose our family, that bond can be our greatest strength or our deepest regret. This unfortunate truth has haunted me for as long as I can recall.
(Rebekah is seen driving her red convertible; smiling as she enters the city of New Orleans.)
(Rebekah parks in front of the Mikaelson mansion, leaving a message on her phone as she gets out. Hayley, inside, hears something and walks warily down the stairs.)
- Rebekah: Elijah, if not answering your phone is part of your clever plan to get me back to this godforsaken city, then well done. I'm here, and I'm worried. Now pick up before I kick in your bloody door.
(Rebekah walks up the front steps and opens the door. She walks in as Hayley comes down the stairs, wielding a fire iron.)
- Hayley: Who the hell are you?
- Rebekah: Oh, you must be the maid. My bags are in the car – get them, will you?
(Hayley, smiling wryly, puts down the iron poker.)
- Hayley: Hello. Not the maid.
- Rebekah: Right. You're that werewolf girl my brother, Klaus, knocked up. I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump. Guess you're not showing yet. It's Hayley, isn't it?
- Hayley: You have your brother's manners.
- Rebekah: And his temper, too, so watch it. Where's Elijah?
- Hayley: Beats me. He's long gone.
- Rebekah: What do you mean, "long gone"?
- Hayley: Well, one minute he was here making epic promises about protecting me in this predicament that a bottle of scotch and some bad decisions got me into – he was all poetic about how we're family – and then Klaus told me he bailed. Guess that's what I get for trusting a vampire.
- Rebekah: Elijah is not just any vampire, and he doesn't break promises. Which means Niklaus has done something dastardly and Klaus-like. Klaus! Get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you narcissistic, back-stabbing wanker!
(Klaus opens a pair of doors and enters the room.)
- Klaus: Enough with all the shouting. Little sister, you decided to come after all...Where's Sophia and Danielle?
- Rebekah: They will be arriving tomorrow. What did you do to Elijah?
- Klaus: Perhaps he's on holiday... or taking a long autumn nap upstairs. Well, go on. Take a look around. You remember this house as well as I.
(Rebekah, who had gotten up to leave the room, turns back to Klaus.)
- Rebekah: I remember everything.
Rebekah walks through a doorway into a room filled with people dressed in their finery for some sort of party. They nod at Rebekah as she passes.)
- Rebekah: (voiceover) I remember how the drunken fool of a governor hid away all of our vampire sins in exchange for gold. I remember the lavish parties the governor threw, as if to impress you.
(Rebekah watches Klaus as she leaves the room with two ladies. She then turns her attention to a young man, whom she kisses chastely.)
- Rebekah: I remember finding a moment of affection with the governor's son, Emil. And I remember that even Elijah was happy.
(Upstairs, Elijah kisses a Creole woman while further down the hall Klaus finishes off the ladies he had left with earlier.)
- Celeste: Your brother. He's gone too far.
- Elijah: Niklaus, there is no hope for you, is there?
(Rebekah joins them, Emil in tow.)
- Rebekah: Are we interrupting?
- Klaus: Yes.
- Elijah: No.
- Rebekah: Dearest Elijah. You've only ever wished happiness for me. Emil and I are in love. Please, let me turn him.
- Elijah: Rebekah, the governor has graciously agreed to hide a lot of our... indiscretions. It would not do to turn his son into one of us.
- Rebekah: Please. For me.
- Klaus: It's not going to happen, Sister. If we turned every man you dropped your knickers for, then human beings would cease to exist and we'd have no bloody food.
- Emil: How dare you, sir! You would do well to treat –
(Klaus grabs Emil by the neck and forcibly walks him down the hallway.)
- Elijah: Brother –
- Rebekah: Niklaus!
- Elijah: Niklaus, wait!
- Rebekah: NO!
(Klaus ignores them and throws Emil off the balcony, whence he falls several storeys and apparently dies instantly. Elijah holds a sobbing Rebekah while Klaus walks off.)
- Klaus: Well, he wasn't good enough for you.
- Rebekah: No one was ever good enough for me, Nik, you made sure of that. Now where is Elijah?
(Klaus' phone starts buzzing. He checks it, stands and moves to leave.
- Rebekah: Where are you going?
- Klaus: It appears the night is not quite over, yet. I'm off for another drink with Marcel.
- Rebekah: Marcel?
- Klaus: You remember him, don't you? Yes, of course you do. He fancies himself the 'King of the Quarter' now. Make sure you don't kill any vampires, he has these rules about killing vampires and it will be so much fun to see what sort of punishment he would give you.
- Rebekah: I don't care about Marcel or his rules.
- (Klaus turns and walks to the door, but pauses before he leaves.)
- Klaus: Oh, and welcome home, little sister.
(The door shuts behind him and Rebekah turns on the spot, contemplating what he's said. She sees Hayley sitting on a landing above.)
- Rebekah: You, wolf girl. I'm going to search this house inch by inch until I find what my evil brother has done to my good one. You're helping.
(The girls walk down a spiral staircase.)
- Rebekah: The governor had lots of secret rooms. I'll show you his favorite.
(They arrive in a dusty, cobwebbed cellar room. Hayley spies the coffins that Klaus keeps his siblings daggered in.)
- Hayley: You think Klaus killed him.
- Rebekah: We can't be killed, silly girl. That doesn't stop Klaus from finding ways to torture us. He has a set of mystical silver daggers. One in the heart sends us into a deep slumber. Klaus gets his jollies from keeping us in a box, until he decides to pull the dagger out. That must be what he's done to Elijah. This one's mine.
- Hayley: You think Klaus killed him.
- Hayley: (incredulously) He keeps your coffin on standby.
- Rebekah: He likes to be prepared for when his family members inevitably disappoint him. Elijah's isn't here – he must've stashed him elsewhere.
- Hayley: I feel sick.
- Rebekah: Welcome to the family, love. You should've run the second you realized Elijah was gone.
- Hayley: Yeah, well, the witches have put some sort of hex on me. As long as I'm carrying this baby, I can't leave New Orleans. If I do, they kill me.
- Rebekah: Well, knowing Klaus, he's planning a box for you the second you give birth to whatever's cooking in your tum. I'm leaving as soon as I find Elijah. Being daggered in a box for decades sucks, trust me. You'd best find a way to break that hex and run.
(Rebekah goes off to continue her search, leaving Hayley to consider what she's said.)
(Sophie is scrubbing a table inside the restaurant when the door shuts suddenly and she hears the whoosh of a vampire running unseen. She walks cautiously, listening for further sounds.)
- Sophie: Hello? Seriously, Marcel? Trying to scare me? I had nothing to do with the attack on your guys last night!
(Some hanging pots start moving behind Sophie, as though a wind has passed through them, and she turns around. She walks toward them slowly, then grabs a knife, which she lifts in time for Rebekah to appear and grab her raised, knife-wielding arm.)
- Rebekah: Sophie Deveraux. My brother, Elijah, told me about you. Know who I am?
- Sophie: Yeah, I know.
- Rebekah: Then you know we need to talk.
(The next scene shows Sophia and Danielle finally arriving in New Orleans in Sophia's 2014 Chevrolet Sonic.)
- Danielle: ...Mom. Something doesn't feel right about this city.
- Sophia: Whenever there's anything supernatural like us in a city, something isn't always right. Don't worry sweetie. We'll be fine this time.
- Danielle: (smiles at her mother.) Hey, mom can we stop here? I want to take a walk around here and check things out.
(Sophia parks the car and they both get out. Danille gives Sophia a quick hug and tells her she'll meet up with her later. As Danielle goes in the opposite direction, further into the square, Sophia walks towards the bar but stops when she sees a man staring at her. She begins to feel uneasy and as more people pass by, he disappears.
- Sophia:...Must be imagining things...
(Sophia enters the bar and takes a look around. Marcel sees her and is amazed by her beauty. He watches her as she talks to his friend, Camille.
- Camille: Hey, can I get you anything?
- Sophia: A water, please.
- Camille: Sure.
(Camille gives Sophia her water as Sophia pays for it.)
- Sophia: So what's this city like?
- Camille: First time here, huh? Well, its full of life, the people are always has so much energy, lots of parades, and the parties are something you don't want to miss.
- Sophia: Then I might like it here.
- Camille: What brings you here?
- Sophia: Visting my family. Haven't seen them for three months. I have to keep my big brother and baby sister in check.
- Camille: Family drama. I know that feeling. What's the deal with your siblings?
- Sophia: They can't keep themselves out of trouble. The baby sister is too much trouble for me but my brother...he's complicated. Defiant, ill-mannered, and a little temperamental. See, we don't share the same father. Of course that never bothered me, but my brother resents it deeply. Never felt like he belongs. All told, he has a long history of getting himself into trouble.
- Camille: Really? Hey that sounds exactly like an someone told me once before. I didn't get his name though.
- Sophia: ...You might be talking about my other older brother. We're pretty much the same person. I haven't heard from him in months. When was the last time you saw him?
- Camille: He's your older brother? Wears a suit?
- Sophia: We're half-siblings.
- Camille: That explains it. I last saw him three months ago.
- Sophia: Hmm...Thank you for the drink...Camille?
- Camille: That's right but I like you, so you can call me Cami.
- Sophia: Okay then, Cami. I'm Sophia, it was nice to meet you. Maybe we can hang out sometime.
- Camille: Sounds good.
(Just as Sophia gets up from her seat. Marcel is in front of her. She then has a familiar feeling that she hasn't felt in years.)
- Marcel: Hello there. Who's your friend, Cami?
- Camille: This is Sophia.
- Marcel: Sophia, that's a beautiful name. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Marcel.
- Sophia: Oh...So you're Marcel?
- Marcel: You know me?
- Sophia: I've heard of you from my sister. The hot, sexy, bad boy. The kind of boys that women need to watch out for.
- Camille: She read you.
- Marcel: Ooh, we've got a smart one here. You trying to call me out on my game here in front of my friend?
- Sophia: You should be able to handle it. See you next time, Cami.
(Sophia then leaves as Marcel continues to watch her.)
- Camille: Marcel..
- Marcel: Can't wait to see her again.
- Camille: You never change. Always a ladies man. But it looks like she can handle you.
- Marcel: And that's exactly what I want...a challenge.
(Rebekah and Sophie are seen talking while walking among the burial vaults of the cemetery.)
- Sophie: I've been linked, so anything you do to me, you do to Hayley.
- Rebekah: So, if I had to guess, knowing Klaus's history, Elijah has a dagger in his chest. It's a magical object, you're a witch. Do a locator spell, locate the dagger, locate Elijah.
- Sophie: I can't use magic. It's punishable by death – Marcel's rules.
- Rebekah: Marcel? What do you think I'm going to do to you if you don't give me what I want?
- Sophie: Not much. I've been linked, so anything you do to me, you do to Hayley.
- Rebekah: Who?
(Sophie gives her a significant look.)
- Rebekah: Oh, right the mumzy. Well, luckily for you, Elijah seems to care about her, otherwise I'd break your neck right here. How did Marcel get so bloody powerful, anyway? He wasn't like this when I left a hundred years ago.
- Sophie: Marcel has a way to tell whenever there's magic done in the Quarter. The 'how' isn't relevant.
- Rebekah: I'll tell you what's not bloody relevant – a coven of witches who can't do magic. Here's an idea: move away.
- Sophie: We practice ancestral magic. This cemetery is filled with the remains of our witch ancestors. Without access to them, we're powerless. If we run, we're leaving our legacy behind – our home, our family.
- Rebekah: Well, family's overrated. Look at me. I'm back in a city that's given me nothing but heartache, looking for a brother who's hell-bent on protecting a baby I don't care about.
- Sophie: I find that hard to believe. You're here, aren't you?
- Rebekah: I'm here for Elijah. The instant I find him, I'm gone. He was the one who idiotically believed this baby would be Niklaus' redemption. And now he's missing, probably at the hands of Klaus himself. And you were foolish enough to believe that Elijah could convince Klaus to go against Marcel, when everyone knows that they have a history.
- Sophie: Klaus sired Marcel. I'm aware.
- Rebekah: You don't understand. Marcel is not just some guy that Klaus turned into a vampire. Klaus loved him like a son.
(A funeral procession, all dressed in black, follows behind a horse-drawn carriage.)
- Rebekah: (voiceover) I was there the day that they met. We were burying Emil, the governor's only son... or so we thought.
(A man on a horse whips a young black boy, who screams in pain with each lash.)
- Rebekah: (voiceover) Turns out the governor had another son, from a mother that he owned.
(Klaus steps out of the procession to turn and look at the boy. The boy, having fallen to his knees in pain, grabs an apple off the ground, turns and throws it at the man with the whip, a fierce look of hatred in his eyes. Infuriated, the man winds up for another lashing, but Klaus grabs something off the ground and hurls it with vampire strength at the man; it hits him in the forehead, and he falls off the horse, dead. Rebekah and Elijah watch as Klaus approaches the boy.)
- Klaus: What is your name?
- Young Marcel: Don't got one. Mama wouldn't name me till I turned ten, 'case the fever took me... then it took her.
(Klaus crouches down before the boy, getting on his level.)
- Klaus: You're a survivor, and survivors need names. How about Marcellus?
- Young Marcel: Marcellus?
- Klaus: It comes from Mars, the god of war, and it means 'little warrior'.
(Klaus stands and holds out a hand to the boy, who hesitates, but then smiles, takes it and rises to his feet. Elijah and Rebekah have watched this entire exchange.)
- Elijah: Perhaps there is hope for our brother, after all.
(Danielle is seen walking out a clothing store. She then gets a strange feeling that someone is watching her. She turns around and looks towards the woods but sees no one. She walks into the woods and stops.)
- Danielle:...Who's there?
(She begins to hear noises and is suddenly attacked from behind. As she gets back up, a man is standing in front of her. As he suddenly begins to attack her again, she uses her magic and he falls to the ground in pain.)
- Danielle: Who are you? And what do you want?
- ???: (still on the ground in pain.) Hello Danielle. My name is Macklyn Barthlomew. I came to let you know that you will have people after your and I'm one of them. And we want you dead. I have some unfinished business in New Orleans, so I'm going to let you go for now. But don't tell your family about me. They'll soon know that I'm here.
- Danielle: But why? Who wants me dead?! And how do you know me, I've never met you!
- Macklyn: Don't worry. You might find out, you might not. For now, goodbye.
(As she goes further into the woods, she loses sight of him. Many vampires come toward Danielle and she uses her magic once again. Sophie and a few witches from afar sees her and is stunned by Danielle using super speed and using magic. As Danielle finishes them off, she begins to wonder of who is after her.)
- Sophie: It's her...
(Sophia is seen sitting outside the antique store. She is watching the exictement going around in the square. She starts to take photos. Her phone starts to ring and sees that its Jeremy Gilbert calling her but she quickly hits ignore.)
- Rebekah: Sophia?
- Sophia: (turns around and smiles at her younger sister.) Bex!
- Rebekah: (quickly runs up to her and they hug.) I've missed you. Where's Danielle?
- Sophia: Sightseeing...What's wrong?
- Rebekah:...Elijah is missing. Klaus has hidden him somewhere.
- Sophia: Klaus daggered Elijah again?!
- Rebekah: Help me find him, please.
- Sophia: Always. I'm going to confront Klaus.
(Macklyn disappears and Danielle is left conflicted and confused.)
(In the bar, Marcel and Klaus are seen having a few drinks.)
- Klaus: You seem happy about something.
- Marcel: I met this girl and I think she's defintely my type.
- Klaus: Ah, so how did you do?
- Marcel:...She call me out on my game.
- Klaus: I see...You've lost your touch.
- Marcel: Hey, there's going to be a party tonight. You're going to be there, right?
- Klaus: Of course. Are you going to invite your lady friend?
- Marcel: No. I'll ask her out on a date next time I see her.
- Klaus: Then she must really be special.
- Marcel: She's a challenge.
(They smile at each other, sipping their drinks.)
(The next scene cuts into the night.)
(Marcel, Klaus, and other vampires are walking in the streets of New Orleans. They are having fun and some vampires are seen feeding on humans.)
- Klaus: So what are we celebrating?
- Marcel: Freedom. We are vampires and we get to live life the way we want to. We enjoy the hunt, the feed, and the kill.
- Klaus: True. The joys of being a vampire. We are forever.
(Thierry, one of Marcel's vampires, approaches the two.)
- Thierry: Marcel.
- Marcel: 'Sup, Thierry?
- Thierry: There's this woman who just invited herself to our party.
(As Marcel here's commotion from behind them, he sees Sophia.)
- Marcel:...What is she doing here?
(Klaus turns around as he sees no other than his younger sister, Sophia walking towards them, smiling.)
- Klaus: Sophia...
- Marcel: You know her?
(Sophia is now standing in front of them.)
- Sophia: That's right...I'm an Original Vampire and my full name is Sophia Zariah Mikaelson.
- Marcel: You're a Mikaelson?
- Sophia: We're half-siblings.
- Diego: Another Original? Leave you're not welcome here! Leave our city! Your kind is sickening!
- Marcel: Diego!
- Sophia: Watch how you speak to me. Were you ever taught any manners?
(Sophia uses her vampire speed to grab Klaus and throw him to the ground.)
- Sophia: Where's Elijah?
- Klaus: You spoken to Rebekah...He's probably off walking off into the sunset.
- Sophia: Don't try to be cute. You better be lucky that we're related because I would have ripped off your head by now. (looks at Marcel who's amused by what's happening.) Do you know where Elijah is?
- Marcel: Not a clue.
- Sophia: ...Let me tell you something about me...Just like my brother Elijah, I am an Original that you don't want to mess with. You should really fear me.
- Marcel: ...But you're also a challenge. A woman who can handle herself. And Diego, next time, treat her with respect.
(Sophia gets that same feeling from before. They stare at one another and you get the sense of sparks between them.)
- Sophia:...If you'd lied to me about not knowing where Elijah is, you'll regret it.
- Marcel:...You seem a little tense.
- Sophia: I'm not. But I will let you know another thing about me. When it comes to my family including my idiot brother, Klaus, I will not let anyone stand in my way to protecting them. Stand in my way and I will kill you. Fear me and only me.
- Marcel: Sweetheart, you're not the only one with power here.
- Sophia: I know that. I'm just giving you a warning.
- Marcel:...There's something about you...I don't know what it is. But I'll find out eventually.
- Sophia: I'm sure you will. Klaus, come on! We're going home. We need to talk.
- Klaus: Yes baby sister! (grinning at her)
- Marcel: And Sophia. I also won't anyone stand in my way of protecting my family.
- Sophia: Fine with me. Just stay out of my way.
(Before Sophia can walk away, Marcel grabs her hand. Sophia feels a warm feeling as well as a sense of electricity.)
- Marcel: I'll see you soon.
(Marcel walks away from her and is seen with a smug smile on his face.)
(Later, Sophia and Klaus are seen in her car arriving at Mikaelson Mansion.)
- Sophia: Niklaus, what does "Always and Forever" mean to you?
- Klaus: I don't know. Actually, those words don't ring a bell.
- Sophia: We stick together as one...Why dagger Elijah, Klaus? He's been trying to help you!
- Klaus: Help me? (starts to laugh) Sophia, I don't need help! What I need is power!
- Sophia: Family is power!
- Klaus: Elijah said the same thing. Family is weakness, they hold you back. And in order to get power, I have to reclaim New Orleans!
- Sophia: You never change. You always want something that belongs to somebody else!
- Klaus: (becomes angry) New Orleans belongs to me! It is my city!
- Sophia: It wasn't always yours, Klaus! Many people ruled New Orleans way before you did! But now Marcel rules it, so deal with it! You don't need this city, you have us your family!
- Klaus: But my family never wanted me, they always betrayed me...
- Sophia: I didn't. And neither did Danielle. I love you, Bex, and Elijah. But that's the problem with you three, you keep betraying each other when you're suppose to work together. But what's worse out of all this...you let Elijah down again...I've never been this disappointed in you.
(Sophia gets out of the car and walks towards the mansion. Klaus begins to shed a few tears...When Sophia enters the mansion, she sees Danielle sitting on the staircase.)
- Danielle: Mom! (runs up and hugs her.)
- Sophia: Hi, sweetie. Were you waiting for me?
- Danielle: Yeah. Just wanted to say good night.
- Sophia: Good night. (kisses her her forehead.)
(As Dani goes upstairs to her room, Rebekah comes toward Sophia.)
- Rebekah: We need to find Elijah soon.
- Sophia: Right.
(Macklyn is seen with an unknown woman. Her appearance cannot be seen as she is standing in the dark corner.)
- Macklyn: The Originals have arrived in New Orleans. What's your next plan of action?
- ???: Let them do as they please. But I have my own plan. I'll make my appearance when the time is right. You do what you want. Just know that Klaus is mine.
(The unknown woman walks away and Macklyn smiles.)
- Macklyn: Things are about to get busy.
The final scene shows Elijah daggered...but who knows where he is...?